Mario Fraioli, the founder of The Morning Shakeout, has re-shared this blog post he wrote several years ago with some updates.
His breakdown of process vs. outcome goals is an excellent way to focus on building a successful year of habits that can lead to outcome goals rather than setting goals without good habits. Here’s my take on his 7 habits.
1: They set various types of goals
FunSize process goals:
- Run 4x per week, minimum 3 miles per run
- Oxfit strength training 4x per week
FunSize outcome goals:
- Sub-4 hour marathon
- Complete a race distance that scares me, > 48hrs running
2: They enjoy the process
- Choose training runs and races joyfully, not just to check a box.
- Do what sounds fun!
- Run with friends at least once a week
3: They value consistency
- Complete All Day Running Co #Workout365 each day
- Complete at least 80% of marathon training program
4: They run at a few different speeds
- Hit those track workouts and train with a marathon goal pace in mind
- Actually, run easy runs, EASY
5: They take their recovery seriously
- Stretch 10 min per day
- Improve sleep consistency (Whoop metrics)
6: They focus on quality over quantity
- Pick a marathon (Eugene) and stick with it
- Every run during the 12 weeks leading up to Eugene should serve the purpose ONLY Eugene
- Focus on one week at a time
7: They recognize and celebrate their achievements – no matter how small
- Finish each week recognizing at least one win and one struggle
- The following week’s goal is to repeat the win and improve on the struggle.
- Rinse and repeat
Takehome Bonus Habit
JUST HAVE FUN! DON’T FORGET TO DANCE.