Disclaimer: I received the Rudy Project Sterling Limited Edition Fluo Helmet in Pink/Blue to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
You must know, my aversion to pink is very strong. Purple = awesome. Pink=dream killer. I know it’s random but maybe it’s just my way of fighting against gender conformity. In any case, when I received the Rudy Project Sterling helmet I was simultaneously excited and horrified. I had already committed to testing the helmet by wearing it in Ironman Chattanooga so I stuffed my pink baggage and got to work admiring everything else about this splendid piece of equipment.
Details from Rudy:
- Designed with the aid of an Italian hat craftsman to provide comfort and safety – this is definitely the most comfortable helmet I’ve had
- 18 vents for cooling – the heat index was 104 during Ironman and I didn’t feel any overheating in my head. Also, the 18 vents made it really easy to dump water directly into the helmet.
- RSR7 retention system for on the fly, single-handed adjustment – I wore braids during Ironman so I put the helmet in transition with the retention system opened. The helmet went on my head easily during transition and I cranked the retention system to lock it in place as I rolled onto the course.
- Available in bright ‘Fluo’ colors – despite my aversion to pink, the helmet does look pretty spectacular and I got a lot of compliments on the course. I was quite colorful indeed: blue bike, black and yellow kit, pink helmet. I live to break the rules.
- Eyewear dock – this is a cool feature but I felt my glasses weren’t very secure. It was still pretty nifty on a rainy day when I couldn’t see through my glasses.
- Removable bug net and visor – Other BibRave Pros mentioned that the bug net was a bit warm but I didn’t have this problem, although I did not test the helmet without the bug net yet. I was glad to have the net on during the Ironman course as it protected against several large flying creatures. The visor snaps on and off easily and I used it for a mountain bike ride.
One of the best features of this helmet is its versatility; it goes from road to trail easily. I have separate road and mountain helmets but the easy adjustments and snap on visor allow it to cover all bases. I’m constantly trying to downsize my gear closet so this is a major plus.
View this post on Instagram
Even the pink phobic can fall in love with the ultra comfy @rudyprojectna sterling helmet. Sign up at http://bit.ly/2cpPwo8 for 25% off! From road to trails, Kona to #imchoo, the sterling protects the noggin through it all. #bibchat #gowiththefluo #rudyprojectna #mtnbike #trails #helmet #pink #dirtgirl
Pink be damned, this helmet kicks ass. Get yours for 25% off when you sign up for their newsletter. You’ll also get exclusive holiday deals!
What do other BibRave Pros have to say?