Disclaimer: I received the Generation UCAN Snack Bars to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
I’ve been incorporating Generation UCAN products into my training and nutrition regimen since early summer when the BibRave Pros received a variety pack of their flagship “superstarch” mixes and snack bars. You can read that review for more info about the science and history behind the Generation UCAN products. As a recap, the superstarch in their mixes and snack bars are developed to provide:
- Steady Energy
- Burn fat by causing a minimal rise in insulin
- No GI distress – UCan is gluten free, no added sugars, and SuperStarch is designed to pass thru the stomach rapidly
- More efficient calories – less reliant on outside calories because the slow release product allows body to burn both carbs and fat
- UCan also works great for post-workout recovery and to curb cravings between meals without spiking blood sugar and insulin, both of which prevent fat breakdown
This summer I was training for my first Ironman and tried using UCAN products in many different workouts. Overall, I found that both the drink mixes and snack bars work best for me as pre or post workout nutrition. Doing one or two scoops of the drink mix before a long effort or race has been really helpful. It’s particularly effective before a half or full distance Ironman where the swim prevents fueling again until 1-2 hours into the race. The snack bars are great for early morning track workouts where it’s difficult to get up early enough for a full breakfast but doing a workout on an empty stomach is not idea; both the bars and mix can be consumed relatively close to the start of a workout without causing GI distress. I also started using the snack bars for mid-afternoon snack since they’re filling and prevent the late afternoon sugar crash.
However, neither product works well for me during workouts and I have switched back to my old in-workout regimen. Honestly, the snack bars just don’t “go down” easily during workouts, especially during the multitude of hot and humid days we had this summer. During long Ironman effort training sessions, the chalkiness of the bars made them damn near impossible to chew and swallow. Weirdly, the bars taste completely different to me during a workout versus consuming as a regular snack.
- Gluten free, no trans fat, low sugar
- Curbs hunger and provides steady energy; no post snack crash
- Great for on-the-go snacks during the day
- Variety of flavors; coffee bean and cinnamon swirl are my faves
- Most of the flavors, except chocolate, do not melt in the heat
- Chalky consistency not for everyone and certainly makes them difficult to consume during workout
- The chocolate flavor melts badly during warm weather
Final Verdict: While the consistency is not for everyone, I really enjoy these as pre/post workout and midday snacks. I especially like knowing I can curb cravings during the day without blood sugar spikes
Here’s what other BibRave Pros have to say:
Don’t forget to join @BibRave and @GenUcan on Tuesday, October 11 9pm EST for #BibChat for your chance to win Generation UCAN products! Follow Generation UCAN on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for more product info and updates.