Disclaimer: I received an entry to the National Day of Awareness MMIW Virtual Run as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find and write race reviews!
Time for some serious and important talk folks. Did you know that #MMIW stands for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women? Until recently I was not aware of the epidemic of violence against Indigenous People. For example, according to CDC, murder is the 3rd leading cause of death of Indigenous Women. In 2016, 5,712 MMIWG2S (Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls and 2-Spirited People) were reported, with only 116 of those logged in the Department of Justice’s database. The National Day of Awareness MMIW Virtual Run aims to amplify the voices of Indigenous Peoples and bring visibility to the epidemic of MMIW. How can you help stand in solidarity with MMIW and their families?⠀
Run, walk, get active with @native_women_running in support of @mmiwusa – a non-profit that works on the ground with families who are strongly affected by #MMIW #bibchat #mmiwbr #MMIWG2S #MMIR #timetofly #nativewomenrunningTweet
How does the MMIW mission virtual event work?
- ❗️ Visit here and register for the 2021 MMIW Virtual Event⠀
- ❗️ Wear the 2021 MMIW Run Shirt or the color red on the day of the event (Every registration comes with a red t-shirt; register by 4/28 if you are in the U.S. to get the t-shirt by 5/5)! The last day to register is 5/5.⠀
- 🏃🏼♂️ Run, walk, hike, or any movement of your choice for any distance May 5-May 8th.
- 📸 Share a picture on social & speak on why you are participating.
- Use hashtags #nativewomenrunning #MMIW #MMIWG2S #MMIR #timetofly and tag @nativewomenrunning on your social posts.
- 💡 Other BibRave Pros including @bluegrassbamr and @vanessajunkin have pledged to run 10 miles for this race to highlight that Native Women face murder rates at more than 10x the national average and I plan to do the same.
Before heading out on your MMIW Virtual Event activity, please consider using this site to learn what native land you are using. My runs in Atlanta, GA are uplifted by the Muscogee/Creek land we occupy.
Are you ready to make your miles matter?
Register now at: https://runsignup.com/Race/MN/Anywhere/2021MMIWVirtualEvent