“Disclaimer: I received an entry into Grandma’s Marathon as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!”
As more and more road races were cancelled this year due to COVID-19, I’m sure many of us started to wonder when (or if) we’d be able to run races IRL again. I was really lucky my “A” race this year was a trail ultramarathon that, due to it’s size and the spread out nature of running 100 miles, was able to take place, albeit under modified conditions. However, some of my favorite road races such as AJC Peachtree Road Race, NYC Marathon, and other major events were all cancelled and/or forced to move to virtual events this year. Many folks have opted to not even risk signing up for future events until the post-COVID world becomes more clear (will it ever?). As races try to plan for the future, I’ve decided that registering for events is a good way to support race organizations, help them continue to plan contingencies, and keep myself motivated through winter. With that in mind, I’m excited to announce that I plan to check off another state next year and run the 45th Grandma’s Marathon in Duluth, Minnesota!
Here’s 5 reasons why you should join me at Grandma’s next June:
1. Grandma’s Marathon has a perfect 5-star rating on BibRave.com and has consistently made it to the top of the BibRave 100! “When the entire town looks forward to Marathon weekend, you know it’s going to be a party! “
2. Race management has a robust COVID19 contingency plan including limiting the field to half capacity, offering a virtual option, and 40% off registration discount for up to 3 Grandma’s race weekends between 2022 and 2026. Contingency details can be found here.
3. It’s a point-to-point race run entirely along Lake Superior. Rumor has it, the lake makes a great post-race ice bath. 😛
4. Average temperatures in Duluth in June are high of 66 and low of 49. Enough said.
5. Forget the pre-race shuttle: Grandma’s has a pre-race TRAIN RIDE! WOO WOO!
This will be my first time to Minnesota and I’m really excited for this famously hospitable race. Convinced to join me yet? The half marathon is already sold out (although they may open more slots next year once COVID situation is more known), but you can register for the marathon and/or 5k for 10% off with code BIBRAVE1021 at this link.