It’s either hilarious or perfectly convenient that the week after my best 22 mile training run ever would have me back to feeling pretty crappy. In any case, it’s all up to the calendar and learning how to adjust my training, nutrition, stress levels, etc. according to the calendar is actually a positive result of some of the crappy health issues this year. Imagine that…it’s important to listen to your body. 😛
Since I had such a surprisingly strong 22 mile training run on Saturday I’m not super concerned about falling short of my training marks this week. It’s taper time anyway and I’m gonna earn it, whether due to feeling like crap or just not feeling it in general. The hard miles are finally done and I’ll be happier showing up to the start line well-rested and, hopefully, feeling healthy. With that said, no matter how bad I feel, getting the endorphins going is still a very important part of my daily routine and a key element towards my mental productivity. Even when I’m feeling less than great, getting in an easy 5k at minimum around Grant Park greatly improves the rest of my day. Every time I run that 5k loop I think, “I should do more 5k races.” The loop around the park is nice and hilly so it’s a great training ground to increase my 5k speed and strength.
With all that in mind, it was really fortuitous to get invited as a BibRave Pro to run the DAV5k Atlanta on November 10. I wouldn’t normally be excited about a 5k but here’s why:
- It’s in Piedmont Park – easy access for me. I can ride my bike to the race!
- It’s after marathon season – it’ll be great to run a fun race that doesn’t take half the day
- The DAV5k is a national series to “run, walk, roll and motorcycle ride that thanks those who served and raises awareness of the issues our ill and injured veterans face every day”. After competing Marine Corps, it’ll be great to continue running in honor of our veterans.
The DAV5k Series will be held:
- Kemah, Tulsa on November 3
- Newport News on November 4
- Atlanta, Boston, Cincinatti on November 10
You too can run to support veterans by using code BIBRAVE4DAV5K for 20% off registration!