Obviously, my marathon-a-month training goal for the year is only a fraction of what needs to be done for 100-mile training. I’m using a modified 24-week training plan from the book Relentless Forward Progress by Bryon Powell. I say “modified” because the plan utilizes 5 run days a week. I know from experience that my body does better on less run days (3-4) with cross training in between. My plan so far is to hit the long runs and as many back-to-back runs as possible, while deferring to strength/cross training in place of a few workouts a week. Week 1 of the plan is complete and here is a recap:
- Monday: 1 hour kickboxing at X3 Sports, followed by 45 minutes personal training with the champ himself, Joe, and one of my badass training buddies, Stephanie.
- Tuesday: #10kTuesday! Did this in the heat of the evening so it was tough, but got it done.
- Wednesday: 1 hour kickboxing followed by 45ish minutes personal training in the morning. Speedwork in the evening – 6×600 with 400 rest. Total = 5 miles.
- Thursday: Was feeling lead-legged by this point so chose a rest day instead.
- Friday: Had planned an indoor ride or swim but plans sidelined by family funeral. Probably needed the additional rest anyway.
- Saturday: BRAG Spring Tune-Up ride – 57 miles in Rutledge, GA. Adam and I training again for the “Big” BRAG in June – a week riding from Athens to Brunswick/St. Simons, GA!
- Sunday: 11.6 miles with another badass bitch, Tina (check out her awesome blog!). 7 mile out-and-back on the Atlanta Beltline, followed by 2 repeats of the Monroe to 10th Street segment of Piedmont Road, aka the “Hill of Suck”. Plan is to add on more repeats in the future to help train for the uphill section of the Yeti 100.
Week 1 was tough to get my body used to training mode again, but I managed even with hectic school schedule. I started a Good Measure Meals plan this week and it was helpful for fueling and maintaining healthy eating habits during a difficult to schedule week. I’ve committed to a month on the plan and look forward to potential results by the end of 4 weeks.