“Disclaimer: I received the 2XU Vectr socks and Compression Performance Calf Sleeves to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!”
This is my second (and third!) 2XU product testing I’ve done as a BibRave Pro. My first product was the Hypotik Tights and if you’ve read my review you’ll know I became a HUGE 2XU fan after wearing those. I’ll be wearing those babies this weekend in the 70ish mile gauntlet known as the Georgia Death Race (sqeeee, so excited/scared!). I’m a fan of compression but had moved away from calf sleeves and socks because I had problems with them cutting off my circulation at pressure points around the top/bottom of the sleeves. Considering my current 2XU love, I was really excited to give the socks/sleeves combo another go.
2XU does a great job with colors. No more boring black calf sleeves! It was pretty difficult to choose but I can’t say no to purple in the end.
The socks are left and right foot specific, which means the targeted compression, and the padded toe and heal hit in the correct spots. I like low, “no show” socks but sometimes you run into problems if the sock is too low it will cause ankle blistering. These guys come up just high enough above both my road and trail shoes to avoid any nasty blister issues.
The calf sleeves have that goldilocks level of compression for me. Often, due to the size of my calves (yay cycling and ultra running!) the compression either comes out too tight around the top and bottom of the sleeve, or the whole sleeve just fits too lose. Once again I’m really happy with the 2XU sizing charts. These fit nice without having to fight to get them on and off, and they don’t constrict around my ankle or the top of my calf. Since I’m 4’11”, the length of these products are often an issue as well. The sleeves did run down to my ankle but I was able to pull the bottom over the top of the socks and didn’t have any chafe or blister issues. In fact, the combo fit together for me much like one big compression sock. I plan to wear the sleeves for recovery this weekend after Georgia Death Race.
- Fit together well, even for those of us who are “Fun Size”
- Lots of color options!
- Don’t have to struggle to get them on and off
- Foot specific with targeted compression and padding
- The sleeves have UP50+ sun protection. In the summer, compression to avoid cramps and sun protection for the GA heat will be great
- Quick drying: in a trail race there was a deep creek crossing. The socks and sleeves dried before I even finished the race.
- I like the socks on the road but my toes blistered a bit on the trail. I typically wear toe socks on the trail to avoid this, and I think it just has to do with the climbing and downhills with more pressure on the toes.
- They didn’t clean so well the first time. I wore them in a trail race for their first test so they got pretty muddy. I still had to shake out dirt after the first wash and they had some brown staining. They came out better the second wash.
Check out other BibRave Pro reviews here:
Want to win your own 2XU products? Join us on Tuesday, March 22, at 9:00 ET for the 2XU sponsored #bibchat on Twitter. Follow @BibRave on Twitter for all of our Tuesday Night #BibChat questions.